Creating a bootable USB install disk
- Download macOS Mojave from the App store
- When download finishes, quit the "Install macOS Mojave" app (i.e. do not press "Continue")
- Format a USB drive, "Untitled", Mac OS Extended (Journaled), GUID Partition Map
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --nointeraction
Wiping Mac followed by a clean install of macOS
- Turn off Mac and insert bootable USB install disk
- Hold down the Option key (alt key, ⌥) and start Mac
- Choose the USB drive that says "Install macOS Mojave"
- Select "Disk Utility", select main internal hard drive (Macintosh HD), press "Erase"
- Name: "Macintosh HD", Format: "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"
- Close "Disk Utility" and choose "Install macOS"
- Select internal hard drive (Macintosh HD) when prompted and continue with installation